Laparoscopic Colon Surgery Advantages
There are several advantages to minimally invasive laparoscopic colorectal surgery:
- LESS PAIN. Since the overall trauma to the skin and muscle is reduced, post operative pain is less – allowing patients to recover quicker.
- REDUCED INFECTION RATE. Since the delicate tissues are not exposed to the air of the operating room over long periods of time – as they are when the body is wide open in traditional operations – the infection rate is lower.
- SAFER SURGERY. Video magnification offers us better exposure of the diseased colon and its surrounding vessels and nerves. As a result, delicate maneuvers can be performed to protect these vital structures. For instance, the need for blood transfusions is significantly less during laparoscopic colon surgery.
- SMALLER SCAR. A 2 inch incision leaves a considerably smaller scar and improved cosmetic results than the 12 to 16 inch incision used during open surgery.
- QUICKER RECOVERY. Patients are started on a diet the same night of surgery and are encouraged to begin walking the next morning. Following open surgery, most patients sit with a nasal tube that goes into the stomach (NG tube) for 5 or 6 days until they are ready to begin eating.
- SHORTER HOSPITAL STAY. Most of our patients are ready to leave the hospital in 3 or 4 days compared to a stay of over one week following open surgery.
- QUICKER RETURN TO YOUR NORMAL LIFE. The recovery once you leave the hospital is also much faster. Most patients are able to return to work or travel within 4 weeks.
Schedule a Consultation at Colorectal Surgical Associates
For more information on laparoscopic surgery, or to schedule a consultation, please contact Colorectal Surgical Associates today.